Angel Beats! #08 — Send in the Clones

May 21st, 2010


Convenient how she stopped at one per protagonist instead of making a whole army.


This was mostly a pretty solid action episode, but a bit marred by a couple things. First, the number of times that they decided to rewrite Tenshi’s powers within this episode rivals some of the worst Star Trek technobabble exploits imaginable. I’m okay with the super magic "I can rewrite Tenshi’s powers in 15 seconds but HOW DOES THIS COMPUTER WORK!?" thing based on suspension of belief given all the other inane powers in this show (although why wasn’t the hacker the one doing it?), but then they kept taking time outs to explain and re-explain her powers for almost the entire first half of the episode. Of course, I’m also a little annoyed that there was no actual twist besides "accidentally made an evil clone. Oops."

Second, the whole suicide sequences was beyond even the usual level of terrible misplaced comedy for this show. I get the first guy. He’s huge. TK’s fine too. He has too much funk for any Japanese girl to withstand. Then they got lazy and just had people walk up to Tenshi, get stabbed, and that was how she was stopped. Nobody even had to grab her or try to restrain her. She just stabbed them and that’s the end of that. Overall though, it was a pretty solid episode, at least far more than most of AB! tends to be. No overblown melodrama coming in from out of nowhere. Also, TK got to dance in the halls, had I believe 5 lines (a new personal best!), and the action this week made up for the long bouts of technobabble. It would be kid of nice if somebody would actually die from one of these grievous wounds once in a while. So far, the only harm that’s come to anybody has been of their own doing, which sort of negates any real drama of these sequences.

Brief Summary:

After a brief clash, Kanade and her clone take each other out. In the nurse’s office, Yuri gives the whole rundown on Harmonics and EVIL CLONES before they all wander off to class and Yuri goes to modify Kanade’s powers. She doesn’t understand jack, but finds a new power using the surprising magic of using the scroll bar. She also links Absorb to Harmonics with a countdown, but they’ll need Kanade to activate Harmonics again in order to execute it. Too bad she’s been attacked and kidnapped, so they go chase her down.

They encounter a pair of evil Tenshis and figure out that the clone is using the old code and has made tons of them. The party sacrifices themselves to get Yuri and Otonashi to the original clone, who tries to use her ‘new’ magical power but is thwarted by the power of earplugs. Otonashi finds Kanade, has her use Harmonics again, but then all the data from all the clones surges into her at once.

Posted in Angel Beats! | 25 Comments »

25 Shouts From the Peanut Gallery

    • Nanaya says:

      It’s a good thing that was a noob player, only making ZealTenshis and High Tenshis. Any Angel player worth her salt would have used Void Tenshis, or even better some ColossTenshis in that situation…

  • OneSin says:

    an army of Tenshi , Otonashi’s dream came true

  • Anonymous says:

    No Yuzuru! Don’t rape Kanade!
    You are not far enough in her route yet!
    You gonna get BAD END!

  • Nanaya says:

    The Angel class apparently has E rank luck in this war… I mean, the result of anything seems to = her getting screwed.

  • aXeL says:

    Hey what was happening to Kanade at the end of the episode?

  • Sporklord says:

    Get Chance and Luck!


  • Albedo says:

    TK pwns all. Best anime character ever.

    on a different note:

    My kuudere is in trouble! T_T

    • Anonymous says:

      Freaking GET CHANCE AND LUCK.

      Not to mention the random HEY YO, CHECK THIS OUT, HEADSPIN.

      I love you TK.

  • luka says:

    poor tenshi maybe yuri is actually bad person

  • Dude says:

    Power Overwhelming?

  • Hyosuke says:

    Yui makes it all the way to the end… and get knocked by something that wasn’t even tenshi’s doing. Oh man that was funny. Its like I should have seen it coming, but didn’t. They really only make her character shine when shes singing. Everywhere else she’s a complete idiot. Though I guess that makes Hinata one too seeing how she technically did him in herself. ^^

  • chad001 says:

    Sigh… I have the uncanny feeling that there will be a plot device involving Tenshi turning evil from the clones, and Otonashi using “The Friends Speech.”

    • Nanaya says:

      That has a 50% chance of a cliche scene, a 33% chance of her just stabbing him through again and a 17% chance of everyone else using his emotional speech as a distraction to attack her.

      Not included are the %s of her being perfectly fine or something even more powerful going after her. She has the cause-effect luck of Lelouch so far :/

  • Kaisos says:

    I have no idea about this show at all anymore.

    What is it even trying to do?

    • Albedo says:

      it’s trying to get you to laugh, cry, and lose 15 pounds.

      • Aroduc says:

        It may also be a male sexual enhancement pill.

        Call a physician if melodrama lasts more than 4 hours.

  • Anonymous says:

    Hey! Yo! Check this out! It’s a moon walk! It’s a moon walk!

    It’s my turn. Get chance and luck. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    Ah, TK, how I love thee.

  • Anonymous says:

    Hey White Len, er…I mean Tenshi…er I mean Tachibana.

  • redlupine says:

    I just realized that there is no point to having concerts anymore now that normal, passive, Tenshi is no longer the villain. Poor Yui, she is already out of a job.

    I bet concerts will be shoehorned in anyway.
    Since: Concerts = Soundtracks = Sales
    Wonder what reason they’ll come up with for more concerts?

    • brextn says:

      meal tickets. they used concerts to not only distract tenshi but also to gather the NPCs to get meal tickets.

  • anon says:

    so why was kanade unwell at the end of the episode (before using harmonics) i thought everyone was supposed to be unable to get ill or permanently die, discounting those that dissapearing in to thin air.

  • Yue says:

    I don’t know about you guys but I’m laughing so much during the “One Sacrifice per Angel Clone” scenes. ^o^