Prison School #01 — Legal in Britain For One Week

July 10th, 2015

  

I feel like Japan has lost a fundamental understanding of humor lately.

Gate was another episode of about 80% people sitting in chairs and having discussions, so into the heap it went straight away. Also, I have basically all but the last Friday off in July, so it’s part of my weekend for the next couple weeks and stuff will be posted ‘early’ then. …Which is looking like just Symphogear, but whatever.

Impressions:

On one hand, it’s actually using its visuals to try to sell the jokes. On the other hand, all the jokes suck. You can experience about 75% of the humor just by looking at the screencaps. Oh, he made a silly expression. It sure looks silly. The remaining 25% is pretty much entirely screaming, which is basically the auditory version of the overexaggerated expressions. I’m pretty sure that it’s trying for absurdist, but while, say, Cromartie had robots and Freddie Mercury, this has… a fat guy with a tiny face, and a guy who talks/yells like a samurai. So, uh, it’s not exactly absurdist so much as it is yet another ‘zany’ Japanese comedy drawn in a style usually reserved for things like Rainbow.

I mean, better to put up a consistent front then just randomly scream every thirty seconds and call that a punchline, but even better than that would be to have some decent jokes or actually be absurdist instead of what appears to be a concentrated effort to make anybody who has an opinion on gender politics cry. And animation. Animation would help too. This is… not exactly an animated show… aside from the one part with the spats girl which had more frames than I think the last five minutes combined. I guess this episode’s not as excessively exploitative as the promos were letting on. The facesitting doesn’t start until next week.

Next Episode:

Sorry, UK.

Posted in Anime | 7 Comments »

7 Shouts From the Peanut Gallery

  • Sanjuro says:

    Yeah, but would ya look at them tits!

  • Aroduc says:

    I’d really rather not.

  • Longing says:

    If it’s anything like the manga, the only things it has going for it are fan service and the principal.

  • Sanjuro says:

    You don’t got no choice. Look at them titties.

  • Rz says:

    That’s God’s Light is annoying.
    BD when?

  • Kurizu says:

    The manga gets really good the longer it goes. Can’t wait to see the second arc animated.

  • OverMaster says:

    Tits? You mean that’s what there is under that eerie mysterious light?